Document Type : Original Article
1Social Determinants of Health Research Center, Rafsanjan University of Medical Sciences, Rafsanjan, Iran. 2Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, Rafsanjan University of Medical Sciences, Rafsanjan, Iran.
Student Research Committee, Rafsanjan University of Medical Sciences, Rafsanjan, Iran.
Social Determinants of Health Research Center, Rafsanjan University of Medical Sciences, Rafsanjan, Iran. Department of Internal Medicine, Ali-Ibn Abi-Talib Hospital, School of Medicine, Rafsanjan University of Medical Sciences, Rafsanjan, Iran.
One of the problems of employees in different occupations, especially employees in multiple wards of the hospital,is work-related musculoskeletal disorders. Evaluating the incidence of work-related musculoskeletal illnesses and associated variables among employees is crucial in light of the significance of this problem and staff health. Therefore, we evaluated the prevalence of work-related musculoskeletal disorders among Ali-Ibn Abi-Talib Hospital’s staff in Rafsanjan city in 2019. In this study, 220 staff members (143 females and 77 males) entered the study in 2019 with personal consent, and to collect data, the demographic information questionnaire and Nordic Musculoskeletal Questionnaire was used.The mean age of staff was 35.43 ± 8.08 including treatment staff (nurses-physicians) (46.8%,) administrative staff (33.6%), and service staff (drivers-workers) (19.6%). Additionally, 40% of all work-associated musculoskeletal diseases were connected to the neck region, 38% to the knees, 36%to the lower back, and 12% to the elbows, feet, and ankles, 16% to the thighs, and 24.1% to the back. The prevalence of disorders in some areas, such as the neck was high as in some studies. Therefore, it seems that the necessary planning should be done to prevent further occurrence of these disorders among hospital staff, which may lead to inefficiency.
- Chung Y-C, Hung C-T, Li S-F, Lee H-M, Wang S-G, Chang S-C, et al. Risk of musculoskeletal disorder among Taiwanese nurses cohort: a nationwide population-based study. BMC MusculoskeletDisord 2013;14(1):144. doi: 10.1186/1471-2474-14-144.
- Azizpour Y, MaghsoodiMoghadam R, Delpisheh A. Ergonomic evaluation of job performance within the staff of the nursing and the operating room by rebatechnique.NursMidw j 2015;1(1):75-83.
- Kasper D, Fauci A, Hauser S, Longo D, Jameson J, Loscalzo J. Harrison's principles of internal medicine, 20e. Mcgraw-hill; 2018.
- Ariëns GA, van Mechelen W, Bongers PM, Bouter LM, van der Wal G. Psychosocial risk factors for neckpain: a systematic review. AmJ Ind Med2001;39(2):180-93.doi: 10.1002/1097-0274(200102)39:2<180::aid-ajim1005>3.0.co;2-#.
- Mohammadipour F, Pourranjbar M, Naderi S, Rafie F. Work-related musculoskeletal disorders in Iranian office workers: Prevalence and risk factors. J Med Life 2018 Oct-Dec;11(4):328-333. doi: 10.25122/jml-2018-0054.
- Hossain MD, Aftab A, Al Imam MH, Mahmud I, Chowdhury IA, Kabir RI, Sarker M. Prevalence of work related musculoskeletal disorders (WMSDs) and ergonomic risk assessment among readymade garment workers of Bangladesh: A cross sectional study. PloS one 2018 Jul 6;13(7):e0200122. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0200122.eCollection 2018.
- Abramoff B, Caldera FE. Osteoarthritis: pathology, diagnosis, and treatment options. Medical Clinics 2020 Mar 1;104(2):293-311. doi: 10.1016/j.mcna.2019.10.007.
- Yamaguchi JT, Hsu WK. Intervertebral disc herniation in elite athletes. International orthopaedics 2019 Apr;43(4):833-40. doi: 10.1007/s00264-018-4261-8.
- Federer AE, Steele JR, Dekker TJ, Liles JL, Adams SB. Tendonitis and tendinopathy: what are they and how do they evolve? Foot and ankle clinics 2017 Dec 1;22(4):665-76. doi: 10.1016/j.fcl.2017.07.002.
- Reddy BV, Srinivasan M V. Effects of Ultrasound Therapy, Interferential Therapy and Combination of Ultrasound Therapy with Interferential Therapy on Bursitis of Knee in Sports. IJRAT 2018 May;6(5):528-533.
- Genova A, Dix O, Saefan A, Thakur M, Hassan A. Carpal tunnel syndrome: a review of literature. Cureus 2020 Mar;12(3): e7333. doi: 10.7759/cureus.7333.
- Baloch N, Hasan OH, Jessar MM, Hattori S, Yamada S. “Sports Ultrasound”, advantages, indications and limitations in upper and lower limbs musculoskeletal disorders. Review article. Int J Surg 2018 Jun; 54(Pt B):333-340. doi: 10.1016/j.ijsu.2017.11.034.
- Minetto MA, Giannini A, McConnell R, Busso C, Torre G, Massazza G. Common musculoskeletal disorders in the elderly: the star triad. J clin med 2020 Apr;9(4):1216. doi: 10.3390/jcm9041216.
- Baberi F, Jahandideh Z, Akbari M, Shakerian M, Choobineh A. Relationship between personality type and musculoskeletal disorders among office staff. Med Lav
2019 Aug 26;110(4):293-303. doi: 10.23749/mdl.v110i4.7820.
- Shams-Hosseini NS, Vahdati T, Mohammadzadeh Z, Yeganeh A, Davoodi S. Prevalence of musculoskeletal disorders among dentists in Iran: A systematic review. Mater socio-med 2017 Dec;29(4):257. doi: 10.5455/msm.2017.29.257-262.
- Akodu AK, Ashalejo ZO. Work-related musculoskeletal disorders and work ability among hospital nurses. J Taibah Univ Med Sci 2019 Jun 1;14(3):252-61. doi: 10.1016/j.jtumed.2019.02.009.
- Ribeiro T, Serranheira F, Loureiro H. Work related musculoskeletal disorders in primary health care nurses. Appl Nurs Res2017;33:72-7.doi: 10.1016/j.apnr.2016.09.003.
- Anderson SP, Oakman J. Allied health professionals and work-related musculoskeletal disorders: a systematic review. Saf health work 2016 Dec 1;7(4):259-67. doi: 10.1016/j.shaw.2016.04.001.
- Choobineh, A., Daneshmandi, H., Tabatabaee, S. H. The Prevalence Rate of Work-Related Musculoskeletal Disorders Among Iranian Female Workers. Women’s Health Bulletin 2015; 2(4): 1-5. doi: 10.17795/whb27334.
- Choi SD, Brings K. Work-related musculoskeletal risks associated with nurses and nursing assistants handling overweight and obese patients: A literature review. Work 2016 Jan 1;53(2):439-48. doi: 10.3233/WOR-152222.
- Passier L, McPhail S. Work-related injuries amongst occupational therapists: a preliminary investigation. Br J Occup Ther 2011 Mar;74(3):143-7.https://doi.org/10.4276/030802211X12996065859328
- Epstein S, Sparer EH, Tran BN, Ruan QZ, Dennerlein JT, Singhal D, et al. Prevalence of work-related musculoskeletal disorders among surgeons and interventionalists: a systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA surg 2018 Feb 1;153(2):e174947. doi: 10.1001/jamasurg.2017.4947.
- Nasiry Zarrin Ghabaee D, Haresabadi M, Bagheri Nesami M, Esmaeili R, Talebpour Amiri F. Musculoskeletal disorders in nurses and their relationship with occupation-related stress. J Mazandaran Univ Med Sci 2016 Jan 15;25(132):91-102.
- Ephraim-Emmanuel BC, Ogbomade R, Idumesaro BN, Ugwoke I. Knowledge, Attitude and Practice of Preventing the Occurrence of Work-Related Musculoskeletal Disorders Among Doctors in University of Port-Harcourt Teaching Hospital. JMRI 2019 Feb 17;3(2):e000161. DOI:32892/jmri.161
- Palmer K, Smith G, Kellingray S, Cooper C. Repeatability and validity of an upper limb and neck discomfort questionnaire: the utility of the standardized Nordic questionnaire. Occup med 1999;49(3):171-5.doi: 10.1093/occmed/49.3.171.
- Ozgoli G, Bathaiee A, Mirmohamad Ali H, Alavi Majd M. Musculoskeletal Symptoms Assessment Among Midwives, Hamedan, 2002. Iran Occup Health 2006; 3 (1) :37-42
- Mokhtarinia H, Shafiee A, Pashmdarfard M. Translation and localization of the Extended Nordic Musculoskeletal Questionnaire and the evaluation of the face validity and test-retest reliability of its Persian version. Iran J Ergon 2015;3(3):21-9.
- Heidari M, Borujeni MG, Rezaei P, Abyaneh SK. Work-related musculoskeletal disorders and their associated factors in nurses: A cross-sectional study in Iran. The Malays j med sci 2019 Mar;26(2):122-130. doi: 21315/mjms2019.26.2.13
- Taghinejad H, Azadi A, Suhrabi Z, Sayedinia M. Musculoskeletal disorders and their related risk factors among Iranian nurses.Biotech Health Sci 2016 February; 3(1):e34473. doi: 10.17795/bhs-34473.
- Rathore FA, Attique R, Asmaa Y. Prevalence and perceptions of musculoskeletal disorders among hospital nurses in Pakistan: a cross-sectional survey. Cureus 2017 Jan;9(1). doi: 10.7759/cureus.1001.
- Barzideh M, Choobineh AR, Tabatabaee HR. Job stress dimensions and their relationship to musculoskeletal disorders in Iranian nurses. Work 2014;47(4):423–9.doi: 10.3233/WOR-121585.
- Magnago TSBdS, Lisboa MTL, Griep RH, Kirchhof ALC, Guido LdA. Psychosocial aspects of work and musculoskeletal disorders in nursing workers. Rev Lat-am Enfermagem 2010;18(3):429–435. https://doi. org/10.1590/S0104-11692010000300019
- Maul I, Läubli T, Klipstein A, Krueger H. Course of low back pain among nurses: a longitudinal study across eight years. Occup Environ Med 2003;60(7):497–503. https://doi.org/10.1136/ oem.60.7.497.
- Motamedi M, Mokhtarinia H, Oskoee Zade R, Rezasoltani P. Ergonomic assessment of musculoskeletal disorders’ risk level among workers of a factory battery. Razi J Med Sci 2016;22(141):30-7.
- Ansari S, Ataei SS, Varmazyar S, Heydari P. The effect of mental workload and work posture on musculoskeletal disorders of Qazvin hospitals, in 2016. JOHE 2016 Oct 10;5(4):202-10. DOI:18869/acadpub.johe.5.4.202
- TabatabaeiS, Khani Jazani R, KavousiDolanghar A, Azhdardor M. Relationship between musculoskeletal disorders and quality of life in employees of selected hospitals in Golestan province. J Health Research Commun 2017;3(1):45-56.
- Shokati B, Yektakooshali MH, Zareiyan A, AkbarinejadSh, Soroush A. The Prevalence of work-related musculoskeletal disorders among x-ray radiographers those working in radiology centers of the hospitals affiliated in AJA University of medical sciences: A cross-sectional study. MCS Journal 2018 Jan 10;4(3):198-206.
- Mavrovounis G, Meling TR, Lafuente J, Fountas KN, Demetriades AK. Postural ergonomics and work-related musculoskeletal disorders in neurosurgery: lessons from an international survey. Acta Neurochir 2021 Feb 17:1-2. doi: 10.1007/s00701-021-04722-5.
- Yang S, Lu J, Zeng J, Wang L, Li Y. Prevalence and risk factors of work-related musculoskeletal disorders among intensive care unit nurses in China. Workplace Health Saf 2019 Jun;67(6):275-87. doi: 10.1177/2165079918809107.
- Khansa I, Khansa L, Westvik TS, Ahmad J, Lista F, Janis JE. Work-related musculoskeletal injuries in plastic surgeons in the United States, Canada, and Norway. PlastReconstr Surg 2018 Jan 1;141(1):165e-75e. doi: 10.1097/PRS.0000000000003961.
- Sirajudeen MS, Alaidarous M, Waly M, Alqahtani M. Work-related musculoskeletal disorders among faculty members of college of Applied Medical Sciences, Majmaah University, Saudi Arabia: A cross-sectional study. Int J Health Sci 2018 Jul;12(4):18.