Document Type : Case Report
Fasa University of Medical Science
Fasa University f Medical Science.
Farzanegan Street Shahid Chamran boulevard
Tumor necrosis factor-alpha-blockers in rheumatology have revolutionized the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis. However, they can increase the risk of latent tuberculosis reactivation. This risk is evaluated by tuberculosis skin tests and chest radiography in many nations such as Iran. The interferon-gamma release assay test is a secondary test that is used to rule out the potential risk of latent tuberculosis reactivation but is not mandatory. In this report, we aim to present a 67-year-old rheumatoid arthritis female patient who was on Tumor necrosis factor-alpha-blockers (Adalimumab) and manifested severe symptoms of tuberculosis infection in our service 8 months after taking the initial treatment. The tuberculosis skin test and chest radiography were negative at the initiation of remedy in this case. The patient was cured after a timely diagnosis and receiving treatment for tuberculosis. Mandatory double-checking with tuberculosis skin test and interferon-gamma release assays test is recommended before tumor necrosis factor-alpha-blocker prescription in rheumatoid arthritis patients to prevent the risk of fatal tuberculosis reactivation.
- Keane J, Gershon S, Wise RP, Mirabile-Levens E, Kasznica J, Schwieterman WD, et al. Tuberculosis associated with infliximab, a tumor necrosis factor alpha-neutralizing agent. N Engl J Med 2001;345:1098-104. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa011110
- Dixon W, Hyrich K, Watson K, Lunt M, Galloway J, Ustianowski A. et al. Drug-specific risk of tuberculosis in patients with rheumatoid arthritis treated with anti-TNF therapy: results from the British Society for Rheumatology Biologics Register (BSRBR). Ann Rheum Dis 2010; 69(3):522-28. doi: 10.1136/ard.2009.118935.
- .Dantes E, Tofolean DE, Fildan AP, Craciun L, Dumea E, Tofolean IT, et al. Lethal disseminated tuberculosis in patients under biological treatment - two clinical cases and a short review. J Int Med Res 2018; 46(7):2961-69 https://doi.org/10.1177/0300060518771273
- Wańczyk-Dręczewska B, Owczarczyk-Saczonek A, Placek W. Tuberculosis in patient with psoriasis receiving biologic therapy: Case report. Ann. Med 2020;27(2):209-13. doi https://doi.org/10.29089/2020.20.00135
- .Mazurek GH, Jereb J, Vernon A, LoBue P, Goldberg S, Castro K. Updated guidelines for using Interferon Gamma Release Assays to detect Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection - United States, 2010. MMWR Recommendations and reports : Morbidity and mortality weekly report Recommendations and reports 2010;59:1-25.
- Lewinsohn DM, Leonard MK, LoBue PA, Cohn DL, Daley CL, Desmond E, et al. Official American Thoracic Society/Infectious Diseases Society of America/Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Clinical Practice Guidelines: Diagnosis of Tuberculosis in Adults and Children.Clin Infect Dis 2017;64(2):e1-e33. doi: 10.1093/cid/ciw778
- .Kleinert S, Tony HP, Krueger K, Detert J, Mielke F, Rockwitz K, et al. Screening for latent tuberculosis infection: performance of tuberculin skin test and interferon-γ release assays under real-life conditions. Ann Rheum Dis 2012; 71(11):1791-95. doi:1136/annrheumdis-2011-200941
- Singh JA, Saag KG, Bridges SL, Jr., Akl EA, Bannuru RR, Sullivan MC, et al. 2015 American College of Rheumatology Guideline for the Treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis. Arthritis Rheumatol 2016; 68(1):1-26. doi: 1002/art.39480
- Kunimoto D, Gardam M, Kitai I, Menzies D, Morshed M, Pai M. et al. Recommendations on Interferon Gamma Release Assays for the Diagnosis of Latent Tuberculosis Infection-2010 Update: Recommendations on Interferon Gamma Release Assaysfor the Diagnosis of Latent Tuberculosis Infection—2010 Update: An Advisory Committee Statement (ACS)• Canadian Tuberculosis Committee (CTC).Can Commun Dis Rep 2010; 36(ACS-5):1. doi: 14745/ccdr.v36i00a05
- Doosti A,Nasehi M,Moradi G,et al.The Pattern of Tuberculosis in Iran :A National Cross-Sectional study.Iran J Public Health 2001; 345(15):1098-104. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa011110